Growing up, I always hated oatmeal. I thought it was just a sad combination of soggy cereal and soup. It was not until high school that I heard about overnight oats, when I tried them for the first time at Urban Remedy Juice bar. These overnight oats made me realize that I like oatmeal, just only when it's cold. I loved the oats from Urban Remedy but I thought I could make them cheaper (and better) by myself. After lots of attempts, I have developed a delicious recipe that I use several days a week. This recipe is easy and perfect for back to school! I kid you not, I could be seen eating these during second period several days a week. These are also great because they definitely keep me full until lunch so I do not need to snack all morning.
I usually eat my oats right out of the jar but I put them in a bowl if I am feeling fancy. Tthese ones are made with frozen blueberries inside, fresh blueberries on top, walnuts on top and maple syrup!
1 cup of rolled oats (GF if necessary)
1 Cup any plant based milk (I use Califia Farms unsweetened original almond milk)
1 tsp of any sweetener (I use maple syrup)
fresh or frozen fruit (berries are the best)
walnut or almonds
1 tsb chia or hemp seeds
1. Take a 1 pint mason jar or any 16 oz container with lid and fill it half way with half of your oats
2. Now is when you would add a layer of any fruits, seeds, or nuts, and half of the sweetener
3. Add the rest of the oats, they should go almost to the top of the jar
4. Pour in the milk and the rest of the sweetener, it should go up to the right above the oats, but you still want at least a quarter an inch of space in the jar.
5. Cover the jar and shake it. I like to shake mine a lot so the fruit and sweetener gets mixed around evenly.
4. Put the jar in the fridge overnight or for at least four hours
5. In the morning you can either pour it into a bowl and add more toppings or you can eat it right out of the jar if you are on the go!