I love pizza, but my dietary restrictions do not lend themselves to eating traditional pizza. Even though there are a lot of great places in my area that offer delicious gf and df pizzas, sometimes I want to enjoy pizza from the comfort of my own home! I had heard about cauliflower crust for a while so this December, I decided to try it out. After a few tries I have developed this recipe!
Pizza just after it came out of the oven
1 cup gluten free oats
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal + 3 tablespoons water)
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt to taste
Topping of your choice (I use vegan cheese, pesto, and olives!)
Optional: 1/4 cup raw shelled hemp seeds
Pizza before it hit the oven
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Steam the cauliflower until very soft
3. In a food processor grind oats, nutritional yeast, and italian seasoning (and maybe raw shelled hemp!) and then empty it into a small mixing bowl
4. Then put steamed cauliflower in a dish towel or cheese cloth and ring out the water over the sink
5. Put cauliflower in food processor with salt, flax egg, and olive oil until it has the consistency of mashed potatoes
6. Dump this in with the dry ingredients and mix until it has dough like consistency
7. Take your two pans (I use spring form but you can use any cake pan or cast iron skillet) and trace the bottom of it with a pencil on parchment paper, then cut out the shape (do this for each pan)
8. Place your cut out in the bottom of the pan and scoop half of the dough on the pan
9. Take a piece of parchment paper use it to shield your hand to press the dough down until it cover the whole bottom of the pan.
10. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes
11. Take out and add topping
12. Bake for another 15 minutes, cool, and serve!
Tracing the parchment paper!