Vegan Tofu Tacos
This summer, when I was away from my family in Massachusetts, I received a phone call from my sister. She sounded panicked but when I asked what was wrong, she said nothing was wrong. She was just desperate for my tofu taco recipe. I think her desperate craving really encapsulates how delicious this recipe is. Tacos have always been one of my favorite foods and this recipe is a delicious vegetarian spin!
I tend to serve these tacos on corn tortillas, but this tofu filling is also delicious over rice, in salad, or on its own!
8 oz Extra firm tofu 1/4 cup gf soy sauce 1/4 cup lime juice from 3 limes 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
3 tablespoon packed brown sugar 1 teaspoons ground cumin 1 teaspoon chili powder 1 medium clove garlic minces 1 large red bell pepper cut into thin strips 1 white or yellow onion, cut into thin strips Fresh Corn Tortillas OPTIONAL: guacamole, rice, lettuce, salsa, for serving
1. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the soy sauce, lime juice, coconut oil, brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, and garlic with a fork
2. Crumble the tofu into the bowl, mix in with the marinade, and let sit for 20 minutes
3. Meanwhile put the onion and peppers In a greased cast iron pan and cook at low heat.
4. After 20 minutes, pour the tofu bowl into the pan
5. Cook for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone, stirring every few minutes
6. Remove from heat let it sit for two minutes
7. Heat corn tortillas, scoop on tofu and serve with desired toppings